12/22/2013

Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease that comes on very often unnoticed. In fact it is estimated that over 30% of people who have diabetes are unaware that they have the disease at all.



In my own case, doctors believe that had had the disease for sometime before diagnosis, but because the symptoms are not always obvious, and can also be put down to getting older in some cases (including mine); I never thought to go to the doctor to get checked out.



In my case the symptoms were as follows:



1. Tiredness



I was working a very physical job at the time, restoring properties after floods or fires, and found that I needed what I thought was a "power nap" at around 3.30pm every day.



As I was 46 at the time, I simply thought that I was getting a bit older, and just couldn't do what I used to be able to do. I even remember my father saying the same thing when he got to about 45 years of age, so I wasn't unduly concerned.



2. Irritability



I started to joke that I always thought I would become more mellow as I grew older. In fact everyone was noticing how irritable I was becoming, particularly with my wife and children. In fact we divorced some time before my diagnosis.



In fact irritability is another symptom of diabetes, not conclusive of course, but when combined with other things, you never know.



3. Blurred vision.



I noticed that my eyes were a little out of focus at times. I got some eye drops but these did nothing. My optician had sent me a reminder to have my eyes tested and my prescription updated. I has worn reading glasses for some time, and just thought the blurred vision was due to that.



That was until one morning when I woke up and could hardly see a thing! I could see colour, but everything was a blur, no definition.



This was when I finally went to the doctor and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.



Blurred vision is a result of sugars building up in the fluid in the eye, which then distorts the lens, resulting in blurred vision.



4. Thirst



Before my eyes started to distort, I had also had an incredible thirst. I would literally drink about 5 gallons of water a day, and needed to urinate frequently, every 30 minutes or so.



This is because the kidneys are trying to flush out the excess sugar in the blood, resulting in the frequent urinating and dehydration, requiring a lot of replacement of body fluids by drinking.



The bottom line here is that like many people, I do not want to visit the doctor unless I k now there's something seriously wrong.



The moral of this tale is that you should not ignore changes in your body, particularly if you are over 40 years of age.
Posted by Admin On 8:49 AM No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

Labels